A lot of news to catch up on! We also go through a few listener questions on video cameras and depth of field.
DJI Launches Smartphone Camera Stabilization Gimbal ‘Osmo Mobile’
- Basically the normal osmo, but without the camera
- Good price at $300 US
- Can see this being a useful tool to those already shooting with smartphones and want a more pro look.
- Comes with a soft bag. I still worry about the robustness if it cops a few knocks.
Sony FDR-X3000R action cam
- Sony’s Balanced Optical SteadyShot (B.O.S.S.)
- XAVC S @ 100mpbs
- Battery said to be worse than GoPro (which isn’t great to begin with)
Panasonic HC-X1 Announced
- 1 Inch sensor
- Optical image stabilizer in 4K 24p / UHD
- 5-Axis Hybrid Image Stabilizer in HD and lower resolutions
- 4K DCI (4096×2160) at 24p, 100Mbps
- 4K (UHD) in 23.98/25/29.97/50/60p at 150Mbps.
- HD in 23.98/25/29.97/50/60p at up to 200Mbps.
- Up to 120fps in FHD
- Wireless remote control via the AG-ROP iPad App
- Triple manual rings (Zoom/Focus/Iris)
- 25-480mm (20x) optical zoom
- F/2.8 – F/4.5 aperture
- 4K (UHD) output via HDMI
- 2 x XLR inputs.
- 8 Gamma Curves including Cinelike V and D
- Competitor to the DVX200?
- $3200 US vs $4200 for DVX200
- Smaller sensor, longer lens (20x vs 13x), same aperture
- No SDI
New DaVinci Resolve Update
- ProRes decoding on Windows
- Trimming and multicam performance improved
- adds support for Sony X-OCN, DNxHR 444 alpha channels, AVCHD .mts clips
- Long list of other improvements (see the link in the show notes)
Unveiled: Wirecast Gear, All-in-One Hardware Solutions from Telestream
- Wirecast is normally a software solution of which they just released version 7
- 7.0 added more audio effects, better GPU acceleration, lower CPU usage, more visual effects, ISO recording, Audio mixing, more text/titling options, etc.
- This is essentially a preconfigured box with the software in a 2 RU
- Comes in 3 versions. All offer multiple video inputs (SDI on higher models).
- Prices starting from $5000 US for the 110 model and going up to $8000 US for the 220 model
Canon announces the 5D Mark IV
- New 30mp sensor
- 4K at 30fps MJEPG
- 500Mbps (all i-frame)
- 8-bit, 4:2:2
- HD at 60fps
- 720p at 120fps
- HDR video (30 fps is actually 60 fps alternating)
- 1.74 crop – very disappointing
- Built in intervalometer
- Meter can now detect faces and colour
- Touch screen
- 61 AF points with expanded vertical coverage with 41 cross-points
- Up to 7fps stills
- CF and SD
- Same battery
- Dual Pixel Raw: Optional menu item to turn on. Will increase file size. Records parallax information.
- Can be processed in the Canon software with 3 options (can only apply one): Can move sharp point “slightly” forwards or backwards. Eyes, macro (wedding ring).
- Option 2: “bokeh shift” laterally slightly move the background.
- Option 3: ghost reduction – can reduce some lens flares (only some)
Example showing moving the sharp point
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS